Tuesday, January 15, 2013

014 Root Canals and Choosing Not to be Lazy

My wife said something a few months ago. She said we should "make the choice not to be lazy." She was talking about our day-to-day lives, where we were in the habit of doing things with the least effort possible.

Because of this lifestyle, I was to the point that getting off of the couch, or worse yet, off of the floor, was not only difficult, but painful. Each time I had to get down on the floor to be with the kids, I dreaded getting back up because my body felt like a sack full of potatoes and my legs made of lead.

After she said that, it sort of triggered an epiphany in me. I realized that I was choosing to be lazy every chance I got. I resolved to reverse this behavior, and choose against laziness instead. Get off of the couch and play with the kids, clean as soon as we were done playing, and in general, move around more. To measure the success of this new plan, I got a Fitbit Zip, just to see how much more I'm moving, and it's quite dramatic.

Better than watching my step count each day, though, is how my body feels. I can still tell I'm heavy, but my legs don't feel like anchors anymore, and getting off of the couch or floor doesn't hurt and make me grunt. I was able to play at the playground with my son, climbing ladders and sliding down slides, and even lifting my body weight with my arms a few times. So, not only am I getting more healthy, but my quality of life is improving as well.

As a reward for my reduced calorie intake, and my increased activity, my scale dipped below 270 for the first time today.

Calories: -1070
Burned: 2792
Steps: 4706
H2O: 32 oz
Weight: 269.2

(If you're interested in buying a Fitbit, please visit my sister-in-law's website and purchase it through her - she is an affiliate and it helps finance her own weight loss blog and website)

No comments:

Post a Comment