Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Being Slightly Hungry Is Not the End of the World

Something I read recently that really struck a chord was that Americans have been trained to believe that feeling hungry is one of the worst feelings to have.

We get this message from all of our media, from our families, from the wives' tales that are told about diet and fitness. Food is a massive industry in this country, probably the biggest scam since the original food pyramid. All paid for by the industries that have the most to gain from us constantly consuming.

Something that also resonated with me was the idea that is core to the IF lifestyle: How can your body burn fat if it has a bunch of calories sitting right there in your stomach ready to be broken down quickly and easily into sugars? The answer, of course, is that it can't. We've evolved to burn simple carbs quickly and our bodies prioritize them because in our ancestors, simple carbs were rare treats.

Now that works to our disadvantage. If you have processed simple carbs sitting in your system, your body will burn those and stash the harder to process stuff as fat for use later, just the way it's built to do. Instead of burning carbs, we have to re-teach our bodies to burn fats.

In keto, they call this ketosis. Lowering carb macros so low that fat is your preferred energy source, followed by protein, and finally carbs.

I wonder if IF sort of hijacks this ketosis process without necessarily being on a keto diet.

All I really know is that I feel better now. I ignore the slight hunger feelings that I get throughout the morning quite easily. I feel more energetic. It's easier to get out of my chair and wander around the office, or go for a walk around the lake across the street. So, whatever is happening, it definitely feels like it's working.

Side note - I got batteries for my scale last night and this morning, my naked and fasted weight was:
290.0 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment